Located in a highly sought-after, established neighborhood that is walkable to the best the city has to offer, the Shehan Mansion presents a rare opportunity to own a work of both historical and architectural significance. Built-in 1885 with brick and natural stone, this spacious corner residence encompasses an approximately 6,700 square foot main home, a 2 BR Carriage house, a garage and a dedicated parking space, along with a lower unit with 2 BR/2 BA, a private entry and approximately 1,600 square feet. Towering mature hardwoods and a distinctive five-story tower create a sophisticated first impression for this home, which features a grand, double-door covered entry, original hardwood floors in impeccable condition, and a caterer-quality kitchen with modern appliances. All of the features that make older properties a treasured possession are present: soaring volume ceilings, extensive hand-crafted millwork and moldings, classic period fixtures, solid wood interior doors with antique hardware, fireplaces and large windows in most of the rooms. The living room and adjacent sitting room create a refined atmosphere for formal gatherings, with intricate, hand-carved door and window casements, wide baseboards and two large fireplaces with marble surrounds. With room for a 10-person table, a large fireplace and a nearby butler’s pantry, it is easy to imagine the separate dining room playing host to visiting foreign dignitaries. The adjacent, beautifully renovated kitchen has been updated with a focus on preserving the home’s original character and style. Illuminated by a wall of large windows, the kitchen features bespoke white cabinetry, granite counters, two sinks, a built-in refrigerator and a massive center island with a gas range. The tower achieves the goal of bringing light deep inside the home, creating sunlit reading/office areas in some of the sitting rooms as well as the generous guest suites. The master bedroom suite is equipped with all the features one would expect in a home of this caliber, including an extensive use of granite for the flooring, jetted tub and walk-in shower surrounds. There is also a large multi-purpose room nearby, perfect for an office or home gym. With a total of 13 bedrooms and 11 bathrooms, a strategic, highly convenient location on a spacious corner lot, a turnkey interior and the potential to create a consulate (per regulations, contact LA), this versatile, collector-quality showpiece is perfect as a full-time residence or investment property.
An elegant blend of the Romanesque and Queen Anne styles, this spacious corner residence was built in 1885 for George A. Shehan, who owned a successful lumber company that was located on the present site of the Federal Triangle. To produce the design, he tapped into the creative genius of W. Bruce Gray, a transplanted New York architect who often worked in partnership with local architect Harvey Page. Gray & Page were responsible for many other iconic buildings, such as the old Army and Navy Club and the Metropolitan Club. The pair sought out John McGregor for the construction, as he was the go-to master builder for the most elite architects in the Washington, D.C. area between 1885 and 1910. Astonishingly, the main house and the detached, two-story carriage house only cost approximately $25,000 to build. The current conservatory that connects the two structures was built in 1923. Not surprisingly, the residence was presented in Washington: Houses of the Capital. The five-story tower was chosen as the featured architectural element, for its distinctive wrought-iron balcony and intricate detail work. The Shehans occupied the home for 18 years, until George passed away in 1903. At that time, the owner of the adjoining home, Theodore D. Wilson, took advantage of the opportunity to purchase. As the chief builder for the US Navy Department, Wilson understood the value of the Shehan Mansion’s construction and convenient location. It was not long until he leased the property to the Bolivian government, for use as the home of the Bolivian foreign minister. Photos also show that the residence was once the site of the Embassy of Ecuador. In 1923, the mansion was converted into a grand hotel, the Bolivian Club, by Robert L. Pyle, a fixture in the local business community. The Pyle family purchased the adjoining house in 1951 and connected it to the existing hotel. This made the Bolivian Club a prominent structure with 42 bedrooms and 22 bathrooms. The Bolivian Club was converted into an office building in 1977, a state in which it remained until 1992, when it was purchased by a new owner. A year later, the two homes were transitioned into their original arrangement as two separate residences, and the corner house was converted back into a residence.Request Info